The art world's largest barrier to entry for many is funds. Many of us are creatives bursting with ideas and possible projects, but most of us also don't have the money to leisurely invest in our own creative work. Blavity's Creative Society has curated a list of artist initiatives that provide funding for creatives like you. Prioritize your art hustle and apply!
1. The VSCO Cam artist initiative is a $1,000,000 grant given to creatives of any medium. The VSCO Cam initiative is a self-described "movement of solidarity" to support artists and their creative endeavors. Apply here!The VSCO Artist Initiative from VSCO on Vimeo.
2. The National Endowment for the Arts provides funding for both individuals and organizations who are making a difference in their communities through art. The endowment offers funds ranging from $10,000 — $100,000. Apply here!
3. If you're a young creative between the ages of 15 and 18, apply to YoungArts, a national foundation supporting the next generation of artists. YoungArts accepts applications in cinematic arts, dance, design, jazz, classical music, photography, theatre, visual arts, and voice and writing. Cash awards can reach up to $10,000. Apply here!
4. Advancing Black Arts in Pittsburgh is funded by the Pittsburgh foundation. It uses funds to support black artists and their careers and to sustain the impact of existing organizations that promote black arts. Apply here!
5. The Loft Spoken Word Immersion Fellowship offers grants to spoken word poets of color and indigenous spoken word poets. Four winners will receive a grant of $7,500 to fund a community engagement project that influences both their art and their respective communities. Apply here!